Saturday, February 19, 2011

Writing's on the Wall

Sometimes it takes a random act of grocery store bathroom graffiti to make you realize you're not living to your full potential.  After all, there is a difference between "living" and "making a living."


Like so many other people in this world, my goal in life is to live in a way that makes me personally fulfilled, satisfied and happy.  Until I feel those three descriptors, I don't feel successful.

Not unlike writing, designing jewelry allows me to use my hands to organically express my point of view.  I put my work out to the masses to inspect, assess and (hopefully) admire. And that makes me feel successful.

But there is a fourth little necessary evil.  And that, of course, would be money.

For me, feeling like a successful artist unfortunately does not necessarily equate to a heavy cashflow.  But in this economic mess we're currently wading in (and waiting in),  success has to equal money.  We've all heard of the "starving artist."  Well, this successful, starving artist had to take action.

I haven't made jewelry full-time in about a year. I've been working as a Freelance Communications Consultant.  And I absolutely love it!  I have some great clients who are (like my former artist and new consultant self) mommy-prenuers.  They have their own businesses and are able to make their own hours.  They have great ideas about how to grow their businesses and I help them make it happen.

This is the perfect job for me.  I get to write, create and interact.  I get to manage projects, web sites and social media.

But alas, if I were to be hired by the number of clients it would take to actually make a decent living, I would be unable to provide the high-quality results I demand of myself.  So, although I will continue on my Freelance journey for now, I am seeking full-time employment at a company that can offer me regular work, health benefits, and the all-too-important paycheck (with Uncle Sam's cut already paid, of course).

No comments: